Before jumping directly into the Intellectual Property paralegals, let us first understand the meaning of the term ‘Paralegal’. Paralegals are the individuals who are not actually lawyers, but their work seems very similar to them. They are trained and qualified by education, and are employed or retained by lawyers, corporation, law office, or under other entities to perform substantive legal work. In lame language, people who work like lawyers, but not actually are lawyers, are paralegals.
Moving back to the point, Intellectual Property is ethereal property, created exclusively in favor of the owner. The property can be anything from his work, arts, music, phrases, to more specific inventions. These Intellectual Property paralegals holds complete knowledge about the concerned field and therefore, serve their clients who have trouble in preparing, managing, or dealing with their patent application, trademark, IP litigation, IP researches, etc. They are normally incorporated to work in law offices, institutions, government agencies, corporations, etc.
Let’s now understand the duties of IP paralegals in accordance with the following work domain:
- Trademark and Service mark domain: Marks registered in the name of specific and unique business are trademarks, and registered to identify services are service marks. IP paralegals may assist their clients through the course of trademark filing, such as in identifying the most appropriate mark, monitoring goods and/or services clients sell, assisting in filing trademark forms, guiding them at the time of infringement of their marks, etc.
- Patent domain: IP paralegals serves their clients in filing patent application, sending replies or requests as an answer to USPTO in case of any objection, and conducting patent search to avoid future infringements.
- IP Litigation domain: The process of taking any sort of legal action against an unauthorized or non-registered authority or any individual is known as litigation. In case of any infringement found in trademark, patent, IP research journal, etc. IP paralegals support attorneys against this sort of litigation by framing pleadings, corresponding with expert and other witnesses. Even some provide significant help during the time of court prosecution and trials.
- IP Research domain: To stay away from infringement, IP paralegals provide insight about the subject domain by performing in-depth search and research to save their client. Searching include searching in the USPTO or U.S. Copyright Office’s databases, online portals, concerned journals, etc. to ensure infringement free services and products.
- Requirement-based maintenance domain: Aside from domain specific help, IP paralegals are also responsible for managing, reviewing, and maintaining client’s patent, trademark, or copyright (the required one).
We, at the Patent Paralegal Force, provide our clients with a bucket full of paralegal services. From patent application monitoring, complete docketing of applications in multiple countries, proof reading, end-to-end IDS management, document procurement, data verification, to complete preparation and filing, we can help you out in everything. We have a fully-functional team of paralegal professionals and state-of-the-art tools, which reliably provide the best in class services. Our family has been expanded with our happy and satisfied clients from more than 45 countries.
To know more about our services, please visit our service page.